English Tutor| Writer & Editor | Linguist
Welcome to your English tutor!
My tutoring service ‘Tina Pentland English Tutor’ offers one-on-one or small-group English lessons designed to suit your personal learning needs.
I’m a native speaker of British English with many years’ experience teaching English and linguistics at university level, and privately. My lessons are fun. You will learn a lot and I will help you achieve your goals!
English language and literacy
- At home English for primary school and high school students specialising in:
- Writing and grammar (all levels)
- NAPLAN – grades 3, 5, 7 & 9
- Coaching/feedback on homework and written assignments (all subjects)
- Specialist tuition for ESL students
- Journal articles and other academic publications in fields related to linguistics, the humanities and business
- PhD and Masters theses
- Scientific media, magazines and books – especially in fields related to mental health: psychology, psychotherapy and counselling
- Press releases and advertising material
- Special projects and formal correspondence
- Essays and assignments
English as a Second Language
- General English – all levels
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) – academic writing and style conventions (e.g., APA, MLA, etc.)
- Business English – oral and written communication, pronunciation and grammar
- Exam preparation (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL)
BA(Hons); GradDip TESOL; MPhil Linguistics
I discovered the joys and rewards of teaching almost by accident. One day, before my daughter started Primary School, I decided to go back to university and study to be a TESOL teacher. So, when she was a Grade One student, I was a student too. The practical teaching especially was such fun: I developed my own teaching resources and learnt how to present them; I met new people; and I felt happy every time a student learnt something new.
I got the TESOL qualification – a Postgraduate Diploma – in 1998.
Following on from that, I continued with further study in linguistics and applied linguistics at university. I got my MPhil in Linguistics in 2004. Doing linguistics means learning lots about languages generally and, as a native English speaker, learning lots more about English grammar and pronunciation. I know how to teach them too! I believe it’s always possible for learners of English to improve their English skills – especially if they are motivated to learn and have a good teacher.
For many years I supported myself and my family by teaching Linguistics at the University of Queensland and teaching English privately. I worked hard and learnt a lot. One of the nicest things a student said to me recently was: “Thanks to your help in the tutorial … I could get a 7. […] It was so fun to go to your class, and I hope I can see you in another class.” Teaching and learning are special: I think we all can learn from each other and in the end everyone is a winner!
I came to Australia in 1978 and have lived in Brisbane since 1996. It’s a nice place to live. I enjoy my house and garden, going for walks with my two dogs, and spending time with friends.
I started my own business ‘Tina Pentland English tutor’ in 2011 – because I like teaching English best of all.
I’m so glad I found you, Tina. Thank you for your great teaching and support in my Masters.Korean Postgrad Student
Thanks to Tina I got my first A for English.Year 12 Korean Student
Tina is a supportive, patient, dedicated and trustworthy tutor. School results are improving and we will definitely be continuing tutorials this year.Parent
|Mob.||0432 988 031|
|Ph.||07 3368 1131|